SailQuest Location Details
The SailQuest Sailing School, Ocean Marina, Pattaya, Thailand is the perfect location to Learn to Sail. Our tropical sailing area and world class facilities are ideally situated within easy reach from 3 International Airport in the heart of Thailand's largest travel destination. Check out these pages for more details on the SailQuest area.
SailQuest Sailing School base
- SailQuest offices and classroom facilities are located at the 5 star Ocean Marina Yacht Club, about 20 minutes south of Pattaya City center and within easy reach of 3 International airports.
- The Ocean Marina property features a 5 star Hotel and 2 private condominium towers. Students and instructors often meet up at the Ocean Marina Sailor,s Bar following daily sailing lessons for happy hour refreshment and a lovely sunset view overlooking the marina.
- There is also a local Thai restaurant on the property where hungry sailing school students can enjoy great food, Thai and international dishes, at very reasonable prices.
- Over 20 shops at Ocean Marina offer services and marine goods including yacht supply & sailing gear shops, yacht brokers, builders, electrical repair, minimart, charter agents, massage and more.
- The Ocean Marina harbor facility is one of the best in southeast Asia with berths for over 500 boats. It’s the perfect place for SailQuest students to practice close quarter maneuvering, docking and line-handling. When SailQuest students go out sailing, it only takes about 10 minutes from when we leave from our Ocean Marina berth to get outside of the channel markers and under full sail.
- Students who choose our included accommodation stay in the very convenient Baan Luk Rua, SailQuest's very own Guesthouse & Bar/Student Lounge during class dates.
- There is a good selection of other accommodation options with in walking distance to Ocean Marina.
Sailing Weather Conditions
The SailQuest location on the eastern seaboard of the Gulf of Thailand averages over 300 decent sailing days per year giving SailQuest students the best chance of having a lively Hands-On experience. Tropical temperatures and blue skies prevail year round.
We enjoy consistent fair weather with winds from the north during the north east monsoons, from November thru March.
During the south west monsoons, April thru October, winds tend to be strong and steady from the south, occasionally bringing along tropical rain squalls which are always welcomed by students and usually considered good training.
Whatever the season, from our top of the Gulf of Thailand location, surrounded on 3 sides by coastline, the seas around our training area are always relatively flat. It is not unusual to sail in a perfect 15 knot breeze and experience only a half meter swell. This allows SailQuest students to concentrate on the sailing lessons and not worry about huge sea conditions.
Geographical Sailing Features
From a sailing school perspective, our Gulf of Thailand position is the perfect place to “Learn to Sail”. In addition to the excellent Ocean Marina facility, the SailQuest base is only 20 nautical miles south of the port of Laam Chebang, the busiest shipping area in the Gulf of Thailand, an ideal training area where students experience first hand what it is like to sail in a busy Asian waterway. Container ships, tug and barges, bulk carriers, fishing vessels of all description are here. Our students really get a Hands-On experience when learning the “Rules of the Road” in this area.
We have a large variety of Navigational Aids like lighthouses, buoys, cardinal marks, a traffic separation scheme and more in our sailing area. Ideal for SailQuest students learning about coastal navigation.
During our SailQuest Hands-On Training program, usually get ashore to visit the unique and very special Ko Si Chang and enjoy the island hospitality and fresh seafood dinners.
To the east and south, a chain of uninhabited islands under control of the Thai Navy offer quiet beaches and secluded anchorages and the perfect place to practice traditional navigation methods, anchoring and beach landings with the dingy. The clear water around these peaceful islands provides live aboard SailQuest students with a refreshing swim or snorkel break after a day at sea.
Live aboard sailing destinations like Hua Hin, Ko Samet, Ko Chang, Ko Samui and surrounding Islands, and further out, destinations like Cambodia, Malayasia, Indonesia and Singapore make this one of the most interesting sailing areas in the world today. SailQuest is pioneering the yachting scene in the region and this is truly and amazing and unexplored yachting area.
Around Ocean Marina
From Ocean Marina, SailQuest students can walk or taxi to a variety of other area hotels and restaurants of all types.
There is a 7/11 just out on the main road.
Several local bars and massage services cater to the needs of tired and thirsty SailQuest sailors.
Motorbike and bicycle rental, taxis, laundry service, and fresh markets are all convient to the SailQuest Sailing School.
Around the Pattaya area
They don’t call Pattaya, Thailand “FunTown” for nothing. Pattaya has been a booming beach town resort area for the past 40 years. This is also a popular area for the locals and on week ends and holidays the beaches fill up with people coming down from Bangkok to enjoy some time on the coast.
Shopping, beach activities, endless numbers of bars and discos, wide variety of accommodation options and a fantastic selection of restaurants make the SailQuest location an unbeatable place to “Learn to Sail” and a whole lot more!
Students can visit nearby local areas such as Bang Sare, Jomtien Beach, Pattaya & world famous “Walking Street” to relax/enjoy after class and check out the scene.
Tuk-tuks, taxies, mini-vans & hotel shuttle services make getting into town easy and affordable from the Ocean Marina area.
Easy access to the international airport and the city rail system around Bangkok.